This blog is for the man who taught us the real meaning of cricket, who taught us to play cricket. When we talk about Cricket, the first name that comes to our mind is ‘Sachin Tendulkar’- The God of Cricket. He may retire, but not his legacy. He will always be remembered when we talk about cricket.
He started playing cricket at the age of eleven, made his Test début against Pakistan at the age of sixteen, and went on to represent Mumbai in domestic cricket and India internationally for twenty-four years. He is the only player to have scored one hundred international centuries, the first batsman to score a double century in a One Day International, the only player to complete more than 30,000 runs in international cricket. He is also the first Indian to score 50,000 runs in all forms of domestic and international recognized cricket.
In 2002, Wisden ranked him the second greatest Test batsman of all time, behind Don Bradman, and the second greatest ODI batsman of all time, behind Viv Richards. There were some moments in his career, where we saw a downfall, but every time Sachin stood up and proved all his critics wrong. His love for cricket kept him in the game and also in our hearts. Only an Indian can understand that feeling when Sachin is batting in the nervous 90’s and then the whole nation bursting and celebrating his century as its one of the festival. He is the most worshipped cricketer in the world. If we talk about Sachin Tendulkar, this blog will never come to an end. Hence, we will keep it short and sweet till now.
Here are some of my favorite quotes on Sachin Tendulkar from other cricketers.
1. “I saw him playing on television and was struck by his technique, so I asked my wife to come look at him. Now I never saw myself play, but I felt that this player is playing with a style similar to mine, and she looked at him on Television and said yes, there is a similarity between the two…his compactness, technique, stroke production – it all seemed to gel!” – Sir Donald Bradman
2. “He can play that leg glance with a walking stick also.”
–Waqar Younis, former Pakistan fast bowler
3. “There are two kind of batsmen in the world. One Sachin Tendulkar. Two all the others.” –Andy Flower, former Zimbabwe cricketer
4. “Sachin Tendulkar has carried the burden of the nation for 21 years. It is time we carried him on our shoulders” – Virat Kohli after India won the 2011 World Cup.
5. “I have seen God, he bats at no. 4 for India” – Matthew Hayden
6. “I am fortunate that I’ve to bowl at him only in the nets!” – Anil Kumble
7. “We did not lose to a team called India. We lost to a man called Sachin” – Mark Taylor, during the test match in Chennai (1997)
8. “Commit all your sins when Sachin is batting. They will go unnoticed because even the lord is watching!”
–A banner in UK.
9. I’ll be going to bed having nightmares of Sachin just running down the wicket and belting me back over the head for six. He was unstoppable. I don’t think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player – Shane Warne.
10. I’ll see god when I die but till then I’ll see Sachin – From a fan in Sharjah
With these wonderful quotes, I end this blog here and promise to continue writing about the legend ‘Sachin Tendulkar.
“Keep reading and Keep Smiling”. Thank You.